Betfair joins William Hill, others out of Poland market
Betfair has become the latest big name in the iGaming world to announce its decision to exit the Polish market.
The company’s move comes after the country brought in new national gambling laws, which are set to kick in soon.
Updated regulations will say that iGaming operators not willing to apply for a new license, which involves a 12% tax on wagering turnover, must stop operations in Poland by April 1.
Last week, William Hill confirmed it would pull out of Poland, while the likes of Bet365, EnergyBet and Pinnacle have also announced their exit ahead of the deadline.
William Hill shot a letter to all stakeholders in Poland, informing them that it intends to stop offering its products in Poland prior to April 1.
Customers can withdraw their funds from the site until April 1. Post this date, they will have to contact customer support to do the same.
Apart from this, William Hill has informed all affiliates to take off any marketing material directed at Polish customers from their websites.
Despite withdrawing from the market, William Hill intends to return to the market in the future.
Totalizator Sportowy is to remain a monopoly in the country, with complete control over its online gaming market.
Kai started working in the Gaming Industry in 2001 when he managed a Horse Betting Shop in Germany. With the more and more upcoming needs for Sportbetting Solutions for the German speaking market he moved in 2003 in Malta where he built up TopSportWetten, one of the first Sportbetting operators working from Malta with a Remote Gaming License.
In 2005 he moved to a new venture and joined the newly formed Team of BetUnited, a Company that had the goal to target the German speaking online market with a full portfolio of Betting, Poker, Casino and Games of Skill.
In 2007 he left BetUnited and concentrated on helping new Companies coming to Malta to obtain a remote gaming license and establish operators on the island.
In 2011 he founded Simka Consulting to combine his knowledge in the operational part of the IGaming Business with the Marketing expertise of Simona.
- TopSportWetten - Managing Director and Key Official
- Bet United - Managing Director and Key Official
- MMBet - Managing Director and Key Official
- Olympia Bet - Managing Director and Key Offical
- Production Planning and Project Manager - Infratec Pro Ltd.
Latest from Simona
- DraftKings expands further after going live in Germany
- GVC cites bwin.party acquisition as main reason for boost in finances in 2016
- International Federation of Poker flops in SportAccord bid
- Playtech games live in regulated Czech Republic online market
- Ladbrokes loses HMRC appeal, asked to pay £71m tax charge